Saturday, 9 May 2015

Cholesterol, part 2

Ok, this is going slightly off the topic I wanted to learn more about (i.e. how to cut down the risk of getting Hodgkins again), but I'm finding the topic very interesting, so here it is! Part 2.

I'm starting to think that cutting sugar / carbs out of my diet as much as possible is going to be a good thing. It looks like I already eat a high fat diet and have been getting worried about little things like cholesterol.

While I'm normally very cautious about reading articles from people called things like "Dr Bob" or (Dr Rath in this case) - as I generally get Dr Hibbert's voice from the Simpsons in my head while reading them, the article was interesting and well written and mainly echos a lot of stuff I've read before and a few things I didn't know.

  http://www.drrathresearch.org/cholesterol.html

Arteries are the thing that are at risk from build-ups of cholesterol build up. They are under the most stress (from the pumping of the heart and the pressure of the blood forced through them) they have the highest requirement of stuff to keep them healthy.

This article and the other papers from this organisation seem to say that vitamin C is largely responsible for the health and continued elasticity of the arteries and veins. If they are not healthy and lesions form, then LDL is the thing sent to fix or patch them. If the thing causing the damage to the arteries doesn't stop, then neither will the buildup of the thing trying to patch them.

Makes sense. At some point I'll need to see if I can find some peer reviewed stuff to back it up. I'll also need to add the "Vitamin C" to the list of things to research as it's come up a lot on other stuff I've read on inflammation and general health.

I think for the moment that I'm going to stop worrying about cholesterol, it seems that the bad health bit is linked not to cholesterol, but to a bad diet and bad lifestyle, which I don't have.

No comments:

Post a Comment