Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Well, A Calorie Is Just A Calorie Isn't It?

A very short entry this time, I promise!

A chap at work was talking about how he'd put on weight, being unable to exercise like he used to due to injury. We got talking about diet and while talking about fat-v-carbs he made a comment along the lines of "Well, a calorie is just a calorie isn't it?" and it got me thinking (mainly "I doubt it").

I'm pretty sure Newtons laws of thermodynamics would say it was, but I'm not so sure that our bodies are able to use protein, carbs and fat in the same way.

Another one of my workmates pointed me at this guys blog, who has had the same condition that I have had and seems to be very much into diet and health. He did an interesting experiment where he ate 5000+ calories a day on a high fat low carb diet for a three weeks ...

Why I Didn’t Get Fat From Eating 5,000 Calories A Day Of A High Fat Diet

... and a corresponding period on a high carb low fat diet.

Why I DID Get Fat From Eating 5,000 Calories A Day Of A High Carb Diet

A sample of one is not exactly scientific, but it made for interesting reading anyhow.

Since we are throwing none-academic URLs around, I found the following one very helpful in understanding the whole process of food-to-fat.

Simple Science: How Body Fat Gets Created

I guess I need to start reading all the carb / starch / sugars / fat breakdowns on food a bit more closely; or just stop eating anything in a packet that requires a nutritional breakdown in the first place I suppose!

Enough for a work night!

No comments:

Post a Comment