Post one ... Aspirin
In a futile attempt to organise my thoughts, I've started this blog to list out things I've found of interest. Initially it's going to be for health a diet related information, but if it works out there's likely to be "other stuff I find interesting" leaking onto here too.Aspirin.
My GP has recommended that I go on a low dose of aspirin to help reduce the risk of me getting an old arch enemy back. She'd been reading some research around aspirin and Hodgkin's, which I've managed to track down ...
Aspirin and the Risk of Hodgkin's Lymphoma in a Population-Based Case–Control Study
Quite a result.
In this population-based case–control study, regular aspirin use was associated with a 40% reduced risk of Hodgkin's lymphoma, compared with non-regular aspirin use. This association was consistent across subgroups of age, sex, race, religion, smoking history, and analgesic use.It's not just Hodgkin's which it seems to help protect against, but a lot of forms of cancer (the more readable form of the papers) ...
http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2012-03-21-daily-aspirin-could-help-prevent-and-treat-cancer
Not only does it reduce the risk of cancer occurring in the first place, but increase the chances of survival if it does.
While not being a big fan of taking any drug if I can help it, I'll be definitely taking my 75mg daily. I know they can have other side effects (ulcers for example), but I think the much lesser side effects are outweighed very heavily by the benefits.
I can see you're an as-pirin' blogger.
ReplyDeleteAn interesting read. I recall watching a show with Dr Michael Mosely where he tackled the subject of aspirin. One second... here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3h2FsW648hQffx9NqMKWGcK/should-i-take-aspirin
He asked two 'experts' and they completely disagreed with each other. If those guys, top medical experts in the field, can not agree, what chance does the normal person have of reaching a considered opinion?
I think in the end, Dr Mosely concluded that people with a pre-existing medical condition that benefits from aspirin should definitely take it, and people with one or more risk factors should also consider taking a daily dose (I believe he started after that show).
So, unless you bleed-out, I think it's the right call. :)